Monday, October 29, 2012

The Ghosts of Halloween Past

We all remember dressing up for Halloween, especially in our primary grade years.  From witches to vampires, we all got excited to put that cape and wig on and stroll the streets for the best candy. (Note to self: Go to the rich neighborhoods). In the Gregory household Halloween was celebrated by first going to Grandma and Grandpa's in Suppesville to get a bag of candy from Grandma and most likely a bag of quarters. I secretly think my Grandma Gregory mints her own coins, but that's for another blog.  Then the next step was to drive the 11 miles to Cheney where of course we would start at Granny and Grampy's where I probably just went to get a Mountain Dew.  Then it was off to the Ingrams' where Debbie had something always had something special waiting for us. The night would most likely end on a stroll through the Rodeo Drive of Cheney Kansas aka Lincoln Street.  From Evelyn's house (my piano teacher) to the Haden's (St. Bernard picture below), and then to the Voth's at the end of the cul-de-sac, it was pretty much the candy jackpot. 


And now a photo montage with my great commentary:


The first Halloween pic I found of myself, I went as a "Jack-O-Latern." Peg was stretching it this year.  Sidenote: Memorize the costume my sister Meredith is wearing on the far left.


Surprise, I'm wearing the same costume! I think Mer went as a cute bunny the year before and I'm a sexy bunny this year.  I'm not sure what Mer is this year, but it looks like some kind of a-sexual bear or something.


Peg decided to buy me a new costume this year.  So we went as Superman and Superwoman.  Not so super with your broken arm are you Superwoman....Cousin Chance got to wear the risque costume of the year going as a sexy mouse.


My favorite costume of all time: the pig.  Oh yes, I'm wearing pink sweats, hoodie and coat.  Peg made me a tail out of a plastic slinky...Pretty genius right?  Mer went ahead and joined the circus like we had always wanted her to and Rochelle went as  "Pissed off Rizzo".  You know Peg had a hand in this, since we all are coordinating with our hints of pink.  Mine really isn't a hint, but you get the point...


Another tough year in the Gregory household as another costume idea is recycled... PS Mer you ain't fooling anyone, that's your dance recital outfit not a costume.


This was our Goth phase.....just kidding. 


Another great costume idea, "The Bum."  Including the built in cigar to the mask a la early 1990's. 


Finally, Batman and Catwoman take Lincoln Street at the Haden's. Peg sewed Mer's costume, it of course was the non-sexy version.  I call it "Catwoman Mormon Version."  I'm not sure why we took our picture by this, but I guess it has something to do with the popularity with the movie Beethoven at the time....

 




As I get older, Halloween like many other holidays makes me more sentimental.  We remember the fun we had and the people who are no longer with us.  So take some time the next few days and dwell on your Halloweens of the past.  What was your favorite costume? Who handed out the best candy on your block? So if the shoe fits, you're a sexy bunny (again).

 

Trick-or-Treat,

 

-Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment