Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Top Ten Favorite: Movie Scenes

Top Ten

 

My next few series of blogs will be some of my favorites in a top ten list format.  Calm down, this isn't Oprah's favorite things. You aren't getting a free car or a trip to Australia with John Travolta (maybe just a massage with him, am I right?)  Anyways,  along with cake and beer, I can't turn down a good movie. We all have our favorite movies, you may agree  with some of mine or think I should be institutionalized.  However, I think we can all agree movies have become a vital part of American society.  They help us deal with our lives, escape to a magical world, and they even teach us lessons.  Movies are one window into the human soul.

Enjoy,

R

Movies



10-Wizard of Oz

"Oh oh, rubbish, you have no power here! Be gone, before somebody drops a house on you too!"





I grew up in Kansas, this movie is a Kansas staple.  When your teacher was sick, you watched The Wizard of Oz. When you had a "fun day", you watched The Wizard of Oz. When it was the last day of school, you watched The Wizard of Oz.  Even as I travel around the country today and people ask  me where I grew up, 9 times out of 10 they mention the Wizard of Oz.  "No I don't have ruby slippers, but if I did I would shove them up your...."  Also, to this day I can't get on a bicycle without humming that song that plays when the Ms. Gulch is riding her bike (I'm really annoying in a spin class).



9- A Few Good Men

"Don't call me son, I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy and you are under arrest you son of a bitch." 

 


 This movie is amazing and of course it is best known for the "You can't handle the truth line."  This scene however, is my favorite.

 

 

8- Elizabeth

"Observe Lord Burghley, I am married, to England."

 



My favorite quote from  this movie but can't find a good clip: 
Sir Robert Dudley: Remember who you are. Do not be afraid of them.

Favorite historical character of all time: Elizabeth I.  Many actors in the past 10 years have played her including Helen Mirren.  I believe hands down Cate Blanchett does the best job portraying the Virgin Queen.  Long live the Queen.

7- Never Been Kissed

"I'm not Josie Grossie anymore!"

 



Even though this movie is largely a romantic comedy, I think this scene specifically mirrors the trials and tribulations we go through as teenagers and how they shape us as adults.  We all were Josie Grossie once and as Drew Barrymore learns, it doesn't mean we have to be for the rest of our lives.


6- Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

"Watch out Tucson, here we come!" 

 



This is definitely my favorite comedy of all time, followed by Drop Dead Gorgeous. High school reunions are all things we experience in our lifetimes and Romie and Michele guide us through our biggest fears: career, style, money, and body shape. These are all the things we fear going into a reunion and their story helps us realize that in the end we all fall short of perfection no matter where we are in life.

 

5- What Dreams May Come

"Do you still play chess?"

 



I consider myself to be more of a spiritual person than a religious one.  Out of everything I have read and watched, I think this movie truly portrays my personal belief of heaven.  I believe we will see our loved ones again and that heaven is something that we create for ourselves. 

4- Steel Magnolias

"I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't, she never could." 

 



One of the best scenes ever and one of the best movies of all time. I personally believe Sally Field was robbed for not getting an Oscar for this role.  Even though this is just acting, you can feel her pain and you can see her grief, truly an amazing actor.

3- Stepmom

 "Our dreams.  We can still meet in our dreams."

 



If you want to ruin your day, just watch this scene. Ugh...


2- Jurassic Park

"Dr. Grant, my dear Dr. Sattler, welcome to Jurassic Park!" 

 



I loved dinosaurs as a child and I was in 2nd grade when this movie came out.  To this day this scene gives me the chills.  Also, I can't eat green jell-o without thinking about the Raptor scene (you know the scene....shaking spoon).

1-Contact

"A vision that tells us we belong to something greater than ourselves."

 

 


Contact is my favorite movie of all time not because I'm obsessed with space travel, but it asks life's biggest question: Are we alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment